Sunday, November 20, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere

While I was looking things up for my previous post about water on Europa, I ran across this article. It basically summarizes the search for liquid water, both in the solar system and outside it. I haven't looked through the article thoroughly, so I can't really vouch for the accuracy or the up-to-date-ness of its data.

It did, however, remind me of another article that I'd read this past summer:
A water cloud containing the equivalent of 140 trillion times the water held in Earth's oceans has been detected around a quasar powered by a giant black hole 12 billion light years away.
Note that this is water vapor, not liquid water or ice. Also note that this cloud is huge: it spans hundreds of lightyears around a supermassive black hole. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment